1 cup quinoa (uncooked)2 teaspoon cinnamon1/2 teaspoon allspice2 eggs2 cups skim milk1/4 cup maple syrup1 1/2 cups frozen berries1 apple or pear, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2 inch cubesoptional – coconut, nuts. And really you and just more berries and no apples. Pretty flexible
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch square baking pan, and set aside. (Note: a 9×11 works fine, too!)
- In a medium bowl, stir together uncooked quinoa, cinnamon, and allspice to coat quinoa with spices. Pour quinoa over bottom of prepared pan.
- In the same bowl used for the quinoa, beat the eggs until fully mixed. Whisk in the milk and maple syrup, and beat to combine.
- Scatter the berries, apple or pear pieces, and nuts (if using) evenly on top of the quinoa.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top of the fruit and quinoa. Lightly stir to partially submerge the fruit. (The milk mixture will cook the quinoa to create a very soft texture on the inside, while creating a lightly crunchy crust on the outside!)
- Bake for 1 hour, or until casserole is mostly set with only a small amount of liquid left. Serve warm, and refrigerate leftovers.